Welcome to Marauder Moments - a chronicle of the Mortimer Street Marauders; the games we play, the rules we use, the figures we play with and the scenery they fight over. Hope you enjoy these pages and maybe call back to catch up with our escapades.

Wednesday 1 April 2020

The Battle of Cloppenhammer - A game in the making.

With a bundle of time on my hands I have begun planning our next big Napoleonic bash. I rather saw this coming so the last time we three Marauders met I ran out a brief questionnaire about what the boys wanted from a big game. The expectations of spending five weeks or more on a single gaming experience sets high expectations and deserves to be planned in more depth than I can usually devote to scenario writing.

This post & the following posts will cover, in no particular order, my thought process in creating a scenario and when some semblance of normality returns I'll report on the game as it unfolds.

Step 1.  - Create a map.

Note that this is my Step 1 - where I started, you may well have a better point of germination!
Youtube is a brilliant resource for we wargamers. I found a magical fountain of fantasy map creation for D&D players primarily, many of these are tutorials on drawing them, I tried and was sadly disappointed with my efforts! Digging further I found a review of various FREE map making tools. Now, I am a 52 year old luddite so this was a bit scary. Enter my 20 year old daughter who is a gifted illustrator - with her help I managed to create to map below in about 45 minutes. Check it out by searching for Inkarnate free maps making etc. (Links never work here!).

The area of operations around Cloppenhammer.
We'll use this map to jockey for position with various French & Austrian Corps to bring about a battle and battlefield. My chums are busy coming up with nearly believable names for the villages, I made up the names of the four towns & river - something I am strangely fond of! This represents a fictional area of campaign in Austria 1809.

I'll expand on the use of this map nearer the time we use it. Next up I'll give you a run down of the two armies in some detail with a rationale where I have one.   

I also plan to get some uncharacteristic WIP posts up of the growing 10mm collection & any other semi random Napoleonic gubbins.

Any questions just ask. Very best wishes to you all, stay safe,

Jeremy   

11 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this JJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Carlo, I'm not sure any game of mine will have had such prep & such expectation - no pressure!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I bloody hope so chum - it won't be for want of trying!!!
      Thanks for commenting, best wishes,
      Jeremy

      Delete
  3. A nice map and I love the names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers chum, making the names up amuses me no end!

      Delete
  4. Nice tip on the map site that'll help for our d&d sessions aswell! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't played D&D for over 30 years - hope you're enjoying it?
      Stay well, best wishes,
      Jeremy

      Delete
    2. We were the same hadn't played for over 20 years but it's alot of fun even the other halves have been playing!? 🙂

      Delete
  5. Excellent, looking forward to more of this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some time to spend on hobby bits now so I hope to get this done before we actually play again!!!
      Plans also include more updates in general too.
      Best wishes,
      Jeremy

      Delete