Welcome to Marauder Moments - a chronicle of the Mortimer Street Marauders; the games we play, the rules we use, the figures we play with and the scenery they fight over. Hope you enjoy these pages and maybe call back to catch up with our escapades.

Saturday 3 October 2015

Corsican Tirailleurs or Tirailleurs de Corse!

This is another one of those "must have" regiments in my opinion. They and their sister regiment, the Chasseurs de Po, were considered "crack" light troops distinguishing themselves at Austerlitz and in 1809 too. Apparently the two were merged at a later date after heavy casualties. As the name suggests they were raised from Corsicans so were held in special regard by a certain tyrant from the same island.

The Tirailleurs de Corse in action last week, seen here lining out before delivering a volley.

The colour party guarding the valuable GMB flag, I think the eagle is Front Rank.   

Flank company with very yellow plumes! 

The other flank company with very red plumes!
These are once again Victrix plastics with amazing plumed shakos complete with cords and gaudy dangly bits. Barry Hill's talented team did the brush work. I repainted the plumes to fit my preference for very vivid bright colours. It all looks a bit much in close-up BUT on the table-top it makes sure the unit stands out. I even touched up the brown uniforms for something a bit warmer, OK brighter! Not as bright as the Neopolitans, but then who is?

Brown isn't a colour normally associated with Napoleonics, some Russian and Prussian hussars wore brown and of course those Caccadores but it's pretty rare amongst all the reds, whites, blues and greens. I'm very pleased to have ticked this box on my wish list, I might add the sister regiment at some point too, who knows where megalomania will take me.          

Centre companies with very green plumes! 

Now this is how I like to see my units - from behind, the alternative usually means they're running back in terrible rout.
All too common in my case.
I wonder if they'll ever sort out the slight dimple on the shako tops?   
That's it for the Corsicans. I have three new brigades for you next, Poles, Nassauers and then Westphalians. After that there's the Portuguese Legion and a mucky Piedmontese Legion if I can source a flag, any help on that is much appreciated.

Take care out there, Jeremy

17 comments:

  1. Gorgeous and Awesome painted figures/unit, lovely flocking of the bases too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're super quick with your comments Phil! Glad you like the flocking it's all I can do these days.

      Delete
  2. They really are cracking figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you on board Russ, glad you like what we do.
      Be good, JJ

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely wonderful looking unit Jeremy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rodger, keep an eye out for these chaps in action soon.
      Best wishes, JJ

      Delete
  4. Top notch Tirailleurs de Corse, a splendid job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, these are down to Barry Hill and his crew, I just based them and did some brightening with primary colours! Be good, Jeremy

      Delete
  5. Another beautiful unit Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence, these are beautiful, Barry Hill and family did a splendid job, lots more to follow so stay in touch, JJ

      Delete
  6. Very nice as usual Jeremy. A favourite unit of mine as well especially in 1809. Need to bite the bullet and have them painted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking unit Jeremy.

    With regards to the Piedmontese flag, GMB make Legion du Midi, which I believe is where your boys ended up after Napoleon reduced the original 4 battalions.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never have thought brown uniforms would stand out but they are a real eye catching unit. I like them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice. Once the New Perry 1808-1812 figures are released I'll be using them to make this unit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check those out, don't forget to use BIG plumes & go bright!
      Best wishes,
      Jeremy

      Delete